Bookmark and Share
Written By TSN Staff on Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Warsaw high school rugby teams won two convincing victories last night over their visitors from Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger. The Warsaw A team dominated Bishop Dwenger in almost every phase of the game in front of a large and enthusiastic home crowd. Warsaw's Jeremy Lehman scored the first try early in the first half. This was the first of three that he was to score during the game. Bishop Dwenger hit back almost immediately from the restart taking the score to 5 points each. This seemed to spur Warsaw on who were out rucking and generally out playing the Dwenger forwards. A strong run by Jason Taylor was rewarded by a try after a period of pressure from Warsaw. Jason's try was converted by Desmond Hudson. Both Jeremy Lehman and Jason Taylor were to score again before half time with conversions from Desmond Hudson talking the half time score to Warsaw 26 Bishop Dwenger 5.

The second half started with Bishop Dwenger applying a sustained period of pressure in the Warsaw half which resulted in them scoring a try which was converted. This brought the visitors to within two converted tries of the home team. This however, seemed to spur the tigers into action with further tries being scored by Jason Taylor and Jeremy Lehman. Not to be out done by the dynamic duo Brandtt Allen went in to score two tries late in the second half which were both converted by Desmond Hudson bringing the final score to Warsaw 50, Bishop Dwenger 12.

Tries: Jerermy Lehman 3, Jason Taylor 3, Brandtt Allen 2
Conversions: Desmond Hudson 5

The B team played the Bishop Dwenger development team who they also played last Saturday with much the same result. A strong run by Nathan Roberts early in the first half set the tone for much of the game. A second try by Nathan Roberts near to half time gave the home team a 10 point to nil lead at the half. As the sun sunk low in the sky making it difficult for the spectators and coaches to see the game the second half began much like the first with a Warsaw applying pressure to the Bishop Dwenger defense. Warsaw then committed a series of infringements around the tackle area which allowed Bishop Dwenger to push Warsaw back deep into their half finally resulting in a try to Dweneger making the score 10 to 5 in Warsaw's favor. A late surge by Warsaw resulted in a try for Brandon Chambers which was converted by Tyler Stahly bringing the final score to Warsaw 17, Bishop Dwenger 5.

Tries: Nathan Roberts 2, Brandon Chambers 1
Conversions: Tyler Stahly 1

"All the guys played very well tonight", said coach Trevor Cracknell. "Obviously Jeremy Lehman and Jason Taylor had a huge influence on the result of the first game tonight. There is no doubt that they both had their best games of the season. However, rugby is a team sport and no matter who scores the points it is always the result of hard work by the whole team. In both games we won by out working, out-tackling and out-rucking the opposition. Everyone played their part in last nights two victories. Bishop Dwenger is a very good Division 1 program and I know they left some of their best players at home, however, this does not diminish what was achieved by our players last night. In past years, the score would have been reversed. I know that some of the more experienced players have found it a little difficult to adjust to my coaching style and playing as part of a squad rather than a team. I have only been working with them for a few weeks but in that time they have made significant progress. My biggest challenge has been learning all of their names. They are a hard working, talented and fun group to coach."

The Warsaw boys next game is Saturday, March 31st against Marquette Catholic in Michigan City at 1:00 PM.

Posted In: Boy's Sports > Rugby