Bookmark and Share
Written By StaceyPageOnline / Sports on Sunday, September 9, 2018

Parker Stewart scored with two seconds left to push LCA to a 4-3 win over Caston Saturday afternoon. (File photo by Mike Deak)


Some literal last-second heroics helped LCA earn a win Saturday afternoon.

Parker Stewart scored with two seconds left on the clock to walk LCA off as victors over visiting Caston.

Stewart took a pass from Jake Harman and made the final chance count, stunning a Caston side that held a 3-2 lead midway through the second half. Stewart also scored in the 61st minute, aided by Theran McKeever.

McKeever scored LCA’s first two goals in the sixth and 47th minutes. Aiden McQuade and Trenton Parker had McKeever’s helpers.

Brayden Breed notched a pair of goals for the Comets, and Noah Howdeshell converted a penalty to give the visitors the 3-2 advantage.

Remington Swanson and Peter Koller split time in net for the Cougars, combining for five saves. Noah Colvin made 11 stops for Caston.

“We fought through a lot of adversity today,” stated LCA head coach Dan Miller. “I was pleased with the way Aiden McQuade played in midfield, and I thought Theran McKeever finished his chances well. Parker scored with two seconds left in the game to give us the win. He was not 100 percent today, but despite that he showed a lot of courage in scoring the last two goals to give us the win. Credit Caston for playing hard and being difficult to break down defensively.”

LCA (6-2-1) will host Culver Tuesday.


Warsaw earned another strong non-conference win with a shutout of the Cadets.

Blake Burns, Jose Lara and Ethan Grill all connected for goals for the Tigers, with Jorge Rico and Gustav Dannervig picking up assists in the contest.

Ricardo Saldivar and Harrison Mevis combined on the shutout, making four stops for the clean slate.

Warsaw (6-2-3) will visit NorthWood Tuesday.


The host Dragons won a wild championship match against NorthWood at a soggy Argos Tournament.

Argos potted the game winner in the second overtime to claim the title.

Scoring for the Dragons in the championship were Chino Roque with two and solo tallies by Owen Nifong and Koleman Norris.

NorthWood had Landon Parker and Jerson Sanchez register a goal and assist each in the final, and Sebastian Guillen score a goal.

In the opening round, NorthWood won a penalty shootout to get by Lakewood Park 2-1. Parker had the only Panther goal in regulation.

Luke Lingle made 12 saves in the two matches for the Panthers.

NorthWood (4-3-1) will entertain Warsaw Tuesday.


Grace’s women’s soccer team nearly pulled off an NAIA Top 25 upset on Saturday at No. 19 Embry-Riddle (Ariz.).

The Eagles (4-1) scored in overtime to win 1-0 and hand Grace its first loss of the season. Saturday’s match, played in Arizona, started at 10 p.m. Eastern time.

The Lady Lancers (4-1) had several goal-scoring opportunities early in the match, putting the Eagles back on their heels. Within five minutes of play, Shelby Fort and Anna Kuhl both had shots at ERAU’s goal to threaten the hosts.

The teams were unable to find a scoring connection in the first half despite a combined 14 shots.

Both sides increased their attack after halftime in pursuit of a game winner. Grace took eight shots in the final 45 minutes but could not find the back of the net.

Joana Schimmel had a pair of shots saved in the last five minutes, and Kuhl and Jenni Phillips also had shots saved in the second half.

Bethany Blackwood was strong in goal for Grace to keep ERAU off the scoresheet in regulation, sending the game to overtime.

The match ended just minutes into the overtime session. The Eagles scored off a rebound in the penalty box for the golden goal winner.

Blackwood was credited with 16 saves in a sharp performance. Schimmel tallied three shots, all on goal, and Phillips, Kuhl and Kristen Bellinger each tried two shots.

The Lady Lancers will end their Arizona trip on Monday with a match at Arizona Christian.

Posted In: Boy's Sports > Soccer